Friday, June 15, 2007

Little sister.....& other things


This is a picture of my younger sister at 39 weeks pregnant.... and for those of you who know her - its amazing huh!?!
Who would of thought that little 'kayls' is gonna be a mummy! She is due in 10 days, and is having their little girl on Kangaroo Island - seeing they live there now.

My mum spent 5 days over the long weekend with her & Dustin & the bump. Kayla was getting restless, homesick and all the other things you get when you are that heavily prego - so mum thought it would be good to spend some quality time together.They had a great time catching up, having cooking lessons and generally taking it easy. We wont be seeing kayla & dustin until after '???' is born - and personally I cant wait till she comes.
This new addition will be the 7th grandchild (the 5th grand-daughter) for mum & dad, & make our family add up to the grand old sum of 17!!!!! Its a big table needed just for a regular evening get together.
People often wonder why my parents bought a bigger house - well now you know.
I reckon as well that the number could be nearer to 20 in the next few years.... (no not me - this shop is shut!!) but other siblings of mine have talked bout having more. Wow, our own cub pack....

Anyway onto the 'other things'....

This morning i found myself being discharged from Hospital. What! Why? you ask....

Well on Tuesday evening I went along to the gym (that I have just joined - our holiday in the tropical waters gets ever closer....) & on leaving I noticed that I had a headache. Unusual but....

Then on Wednesday, while again at the gym my headache started up soon after I began - even more unusual but I carried on.
20 mins into exercising my headache suddenly went into a full blown migraine that left me swaying unsteadily on my feet, nauseous & holding my head - while a particular vein running from the bottom of my skull, up behind my ear & into my temple began thumping in a rhythm that would have rivaled anything WOMAD could have dished up....

Boy oh Boy - does that scare the be-jesus out of you.
I had to call my parents to come & pick me up & then they looked after the kids while Jon took me to A&E.
7pm....There was a four hour wait, & I was given a triage rating of 4 - but upon checking, my blood pressure was high & I had no strength in my right side - so I was quickly put onto a bed & pushed up the list. They were worried that I had had a bleed in my brain... yikes.

After a CT scan, & a visit from a surgeon at 4am - who told me that I would be admitted, would be transported to RAH for an MRI, & surgery would be discussed following that - I was wheeled into a ward at 5.30am.... Yes that was a LONG night is A&E.
(Poor Jon spent the time on a plastic chair & both of us tried to keep away from the terrible blasts of cold air. Turns out I had been put in the infectious diseases room, that has a separate air con from rest of the hospital - fark it was cold.)

My ward had 5 other older woman in it, ranging from 55 to 87, & when I woke at 8am (by the breakfast trolley being wheeled in -rattle,chingching,rattle) I initially thought.... well you know... but it turns out they were all lovely oldies, friendly & up for some chatting.

So my headache had gone (thankfully) & I was feeling great by the time the docs rolled around on their morning rounds, I was quickly downgraded from having an MRI to just (?) having a Lumbar Puncture. And as the day wore on it was obvious to all that I was ok & not in any serious trouble. Was actually starting feel like a complete fool....
My Lumbar Puncture, which was at 6pm last night, was fun.... & as they had suspected was completely clear (both fluid & diagnosis!).
And I was free to leave - only after spending 4 hours lying on my back following the procedure, but as it was past 10pm at night they thought I would have a better nights rest in hosp & be able to leave in the morning - first thing.

And at 10.30 am this morning (funny my first thing in the morning is around 6.30) I was finally given the ok to leave.
Their final diagnosis - muscular skeletal strain. In other words - a migraine. yah. sigh.

I feel ok still, but just have a a bit of a back ache - which is understandable really.

Amazing just what can happen in the space of 36 hours!

1 comment:

bubblypunx said...

Oh my Goodness, Kayla looks awesome!!! She is so big!!!